Using Rubrics to Grade Assignments
Article Last Updated June 2021
Rubrics are advanced grading forms used for criteria-based assessment. Many eClass instructors prefer to use rubrics as they allow for ease and consistency in grading, and allow for grade transparency with students. To create a rubric for use in assignment grading:
- Create an assignment, or access the settings of a pre-existing assignment that you would like to grade via a rubric.
- Within the assignment settings, scroll down to the section called Grade, and for the item ‘Grading method' choose "Rubric".
- You will also need to specify a 'Grade', which should reflect the total number of possible points that will be available through the rubric.
The value that you choose as your “Grade" will depend on the point increments you intend to use within the rubric itself and should match the total of points available for full scores at each level of the rubric. NOTE: Do NOT use scales to define the total grade for your rubric-graded assignments.
- After you have selected the appropriate "Grade" and "Grading method" within the assignment settings, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click "Save and display" - this will automatically open the 'Advanced grading' set-up screen.
- Click on the button "Define new grading form from scratch", and fill in all fields as required. You may copy and paste into fields if necessary. When defining the point values for the various 'levels', be sure that you always make the minimum possible score for each criterion a "0". This is extremely important because of the formula Moodle uses to compute the final grade; if "0" is not used as the minimum grade for each criterion, the final grade computation will be incorrect.
- When you have finished defining your rubric, click the "Save rubric and make it ready" button at the bottom of the page. Now, when you go to grade student submissions, the rubric grading method will be available. To select a point value for each criterion, click on the pertinent cell in the table - it will turn green once selected.
Note that rubric levels entered and comments need to be saved at page bottom before navigating away.
- If you wish to return to rubric editing:
- Click on the assignment
- Click on the assignment administration icon (the gear on the upper-right)
- Click on "Advanced grading"
- If you wish to re-use a rubric in a different course see the article Using an Existing Rubric as a Template