Article Last Updated June 2021
A choice is a polling activity in which you can ask students to answer multiple choice questions. The results can be published to the whole class or left private for your own use. Some examples of use: gathering feedback on your course or a particular lecture; having students choose topics for term papers; initiating discussion on a particular topic; signing up for seminar sections.
Adding a Choice
- Click on Turn editing on, near top right side.
- Move to the topic area where you wish to add content (the week, unit, etc…) and click on the Add an Activity or Resource button.
- Click on the Choice icon.
- A new page will appear with the choice settings.
- "Choice name" is required. Make this as meaningful as possible for your students.
- "Description" is optional. You may pose the question that you want an answer to in here.
- "Display description on course page" - Toggles whether or not the description will be displayed on the course page below the link to your choice.
- "Display mode for the options" - You may choose whether you want the options to be displayed horizontally or vertically.
- "Allow choice to be updated" - Toggles whether or not choice can be updated.
- "Allow more than one choice to be selected" - Toggles whether or not more than one choice can be selected.
- "Limit the number of responses allowed" - Limits the amount of participants that can select each choice option. When the limit is reached, then no one else can select that option. The choice limits can break when users make near simultaneous selections of limited choices so refrain from using this tool as there is going to be extremely heavy demand for particular choices.
- "Option [x]" - A possible answer a student may select, delivered to the student in a multiple choice fashion.
- "Limit [x]" - Determines the number of participants allowed to select Option [x], provided that "Limit the number of responses allowed" is enabled.
This setting restricts answering time to a specifies a time range for the students to enter their response to the question. "Show preview" allows students to preview the available options before the choice is opened for submission.
- "Publish results" - Toggles whether or not you want the results to be published.
- "Privacy of results" - Provided that you allow results to be published, you may choose to publish anonymous results or full results showing student names and their choices.
- "Show column for unanswered" - Toggles whether or not the column for unanswered will be displayed.
- "Include responses from inactive/suspended users" - Toggles whether or not responses from inactive/suspended users are included.
Students are shown how their selections are published/private before making their choice.
Common module settings
- "Availability" - This setting has 3 options:
- 'Show on course page' - The activity is available to students (subject to any access restrictions which may be set).
- 'Hide from students' - The activity is only available to users with permission to view hidden activities (by default, users with the role of teacher or non-editing teacher).
- 'Make available but now shown on course page' - A link to the activity must be provided from elsewhere, such as from a page resource. The activity would still be listed in the gradebook and other reports.
- "ID number" - An ID number identifies the activity for grade calculation purposes.
- "Group mode" - The group mode defined at course level is the default mode for all activities within the course. Each activity that supports groups can also define its own group mode, though if the group mode is forced at course level, the group mode setting for each activity is ignored. This setting has 3 options:
- 'No groups' - Students are not segregated into groups.
- 'Separate groups' - Only group members can see their own group while other groups remain invisible.
- 'Visible groups' - Group members can see other groups but still work in their own group.
- "Grouping" - A grouping is a collection of groups within a course. If a grouping is selected, students assigned to groups within the grouping will be able to work together.
- '"Add group/grouping access restriction" - Allows access only to students who belong to a specified group, or all groups.
- "Completion tracking" - Activity completion is tracked, either manually or automatically, based on certain conditions. Multiple conditions may be set if desired. If so, the activity will only be considered complete when ALL conditions are met. A tick next to the activity name on the course page indicates when the activity is complete.
- "Require view"
- Student must view this activity to complete it - A tick will only appear once the student views the activity.
- Show as complete when user makes a choice - A tick will only appear once the student makes a choice.
- "Expect completed on" - This setting specifies the date when the activity is expected to be completed. The date is not shown to students and is only displayed in the activity completion report.
- Please consider carefully whether you want your choice to be anonymous or not. Choices can be anonymous to both students and instructors or to just students. Please indicate to students exactly who will be able to see their responses for ethical reasons.