The feedback activity allows instructors to have students respond to a series of questions resembling a quiz. These questions are not gradable (there is no correct answer possible) and so are best for gathering feedback, not for assessment.
The difference between the Feedback activity and the Survey activity is that the survey tool can only use its own built-in questions and generally is not recommended for use.
Once you've added the activity, you can refer to the article Using the Feedback Activity for configuration instructions.
Adding a Feedback Activity:
- Click on Edit mode at the top right corner of your class page.
- Move to the topic area where you wish to add content (the week, unit, etc.) and click on the Add an activity or resource link.
- Click on the Feedback icon, and a setings page will open.
- "Name" is required. Make this as meaningful as possible for your students
- "Description" is optional. You may identify the purpose of the feedback here.
- "Display description on course page": Toggles whether or not the description of the feedback item will be displayed on the course page below the link to your feedback item.
This setting allows instructors to specify a time frame in which the feedback tool is accessible. Leave the boxes unchecked if there are no time limitations.
Question and submission settings:
- "Record user names": Allows instructors to choose whether to receive anonymous feedback or log the user's name when submitting responses. The default is Anonymous
- "Allow multiple submissions": If anonymous feedback is enabled, students can submit an unlimited number of responses. If a user's name is logged during feedback, the user will be allowed to re-submit responses.
- "Enable notification of submissions": Allows instructors to receive an eClass notification when a response is submitted.
- "Auto numbers questions": If enabled, eClass will automatically number your feedback questions.
- "Show analysis page": Toggles whether or not to display summary results.
- "Completion message": You may enter a message to the students here after a response is submitted.
- "Link to next activity": After submitting the feedback, a continue button is displayed, which links to the course page. If the URL of an activity is entered here, the continue button will link to that activity.
Common module settings:
- "Availability": This setting has 3 options:
- 'Show on course page' - The activity is available to students (subject to any access restrictions which may be set).
- 'Hide from students' - The activity is only available to users with permission to view hidden activities (by default, users with the role of teacher or non-editing teacher).
- 'Make available but now shown on course page' - A link to the activity must be provided from elsewhere, such as from a page resource. The activity would still be listed in the gradebook and other reports.
- "ID number": An ID number identifies the activity for grade calculation purposes.
- "Group mode": The group mode defined at course level is the default mode for all activities within the course. Each activity that supports groups can also define its own group mode, though if the group mode is forced at course level, the group mode setting for each activity is ignored. This setting has 3 options:
- 'No groups' - Students are not segregated into groups.
- 'Separate groups' - Only group members can see their own group while other groups remain invisible.
- 'Visible groups' - Group members can see other groups but still work in their own group.
- "Grouping": A grouping is a collection of groups within a course. If a grouping is selected, students assigned to groups within the grouping will be able to work together.
- '"Add group/grouping access restriction": Allows access only to students who belong to a specified group, or all groups.
Please note that you will not see the activity completion options until activity completion is enabled for your course. The steps to enable activity completion tracking can be found in our article on Completion Tracking.
- "Completion tracking": Activity completion is tracked, either manually or automatically, based on certain conditions. Multiple conditions may be set if desired. If so, the activity will only be considered complete when ALL conditions are met. A tick next to the activity name on the course page indicates when the activity is complete.
- "Require view":
- Student must view this activity to complete it: A tick will only appear once the student views the activity.
- View as completed if the feedback is submitted: A tick will only appear once the feedback is submitted.
- "Expect completed on": This setting specifies the date when the activity is expected to be completed. The date is not shown to students and is only displayed in the activity completion report.
Once a feedback activity has been created, users can view Using the Feedback Activity to learn how to add questions and view student responses.