Setting Up Groupings
Last modified on 04 July 2023 03:57 PM
A grouping in eClass is a set of groups.
If you are creating different groups for different assignments and activities, all groups will be assigned to all assignments and activities all the time without Groupings, and students would need to submit on behalf of every group they belong to causing confusion and error conditions.
Once you have created groups, you can create Groupings which can be used in two main ways:
Groupings are 'groups of groups,' so you have to create groups first in order to create groupings (see our article Setting Up Groups).
1. From your course homepage, click on the Participants tab at the top of your course page:
2. Click on the Enrolled users dropdown and select Groupings:
3. Click on Create grouping:
4. Give your grouping a name (required) and a description (if desired). Then, click Save changes.
5. After you have created your grouping it will appear in a row on the Groupings Table. The table shows all course groupings, the groups in each grouping, the number of activities that have been assigned to the grouping, and the editing options for the grouping.
1. To add groups to a Grouping, click on the Show groups in grouping icon in the far right column:
2. Similarly to adding members to groups, adding groups to groupings also gives you a page with two columns: the left, 'Existing members'' shows groups that are part of your Grouping and the right, 'Potential members,' shows the groups available for you to add to your grouping.
Note: you may also use the Shift key to select a block of groups (click user, hold Shift, click another user). Or, you can use the Control key (Ctrl) (or Command (Cmd) on a Mac) key to select multiple groups that are not in a row (hold Ctrl while selecting multiple groups).
To use the groups specified by a particular grouping in an assignment or activity, you will have to set the Groupings options. These settings no longer restrict access to members of the selected grouping - see Restrict Access below.
1. To change settings to add grouping options, click Edit mode at the top right of your course page.
2. Click the 3-dot dropdown and then Edit settings, to the right of the activity name:
3. Scroll down to Common module settings area and enter the following:
a. Set the 'Group mode,' 'Visible groups' if your students should see but not affect other groups, or 'Separate groups' if your student should neither see nor affect other groups. This setting is not required if your grouping contains only one group.
b. Set "Grouping" to the specific grouping you have set up for this resource/activity.
4. Click Save and return to course.
Mixing up the groups for various group activities: if you have multiple group activities throughout your course, but don't want students to be working with the same people all the time, you can use groupings to set up different groups for your different activities.
You can also break the students in each section of a combined course up into smaller groups for group activities.
1. To limit an entire activity to a grouping, open the Common module settings in the activity, and click on Add group/grouping access restriction.
2. Open Restrict access settings.
3. Add the grouping from the Grouping access restriction if it has not already populated.